Sunday, March 1, 2009

Like Mother, Like Daughter

>>>CLICK THE PICTURE TO SEE MORE!<<<
There seems to be some confusion about the picspams: I do not make them, I merely link to fantastic ones. Picspams take ages to make. Luckily for me, some talented, dedicated fans make some breathtaking ones. This one, for example, is superb, although it's not my top 20 (my order would be different, my favourite thing in the show is Lorelai/Rory after all), it's got some of my favourite moments.


Let's get this out of the way right now : Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty is one of the best books I have ever read. It's brilliant. The writing style is really gorgeous but not contrived at all. I read that some readers found it too difficult to read, I can't understand that - Hollinghurst's writing is so fluid, he sometimes even uses slang, there are simple words but grand ideas, it's such truth about inner and outer world. The worst thing that happens is that we do get slapped in the face when we realise just how right the author is. I'm ashamed to say I understood Nick, the main character, a little too well for my taste, he is not meant to be likeable, merely understood, but it struck home in a way I'm really not ready to admit. I think this book has helped me making sense of a lot of things - culture, beauty, sex. I can't even talk about this book, it was such a personal read. The miniseries got it just right, but you do comprehend a lot more when you read the book - the explosive end in particular. I absolutely want to read Hollinghurst's other books, he disturbs me in a good way, he makes me look at myself differently, he challenges me and lures me in in a way I've never been challenged before. The Line of Beauty won the Man Booker Prize in 2004, and it has become very clear to me why.

On January 7, I started a Gilmore Girls marathon. This marathon ended two days ago - I have watched, for the third time, the entire series (7 seasons). I feel orphaned. I cried my heart out during the last episode, I thought I'd never be able to recover. This is my very very favourite show. It's the person I want to be, and I think we are all somewhat defined by what we aspire to. So this is my dream, and at the same time it's already such a huge part of me. I have found a very expensive book called Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity: Essays on Family and Feminism in the Television Series. It looks fabulous, I want it now, I need it. This show has made me a better, stronger girl. Gilmore Girls, you've given me everything I need and I love you, I love you, I love you.

They may have been fictional people, but they were the kind of people who made their world a better place.
~Sacramento Bee~


It sounds ludicrous to say that a TV show of all things changed my life but Gilmore Girls has changed and shaped mine so much. I am now starting a West Wing marathon. Gilmore Girls is my favourite show ever, and The West Wing is the best show ever. Subtle distinction.

I leave you with Loreena McKennitt, who is truly gifted. Here's one of my favourite songs of hers performed live, The Mummer's Dance, the studio version is from the album The Book of Secrets.