Tuesday, August 4, 2009

If music be the food of love, play on. - 60s Part One

Twelfth Night also happens to be my favourite Shakespeare play so I'm glad I can finally quote this excellent work. Today I want to post some more music. Up till now I have posted a lot of different things, but there's a whole era I haven't talked about. I think classic rock and pop from the 60s is one the things I like to listen to the most. I've already posted the Rolling Stones here (they haven't ever made a bad album, I love them, although it's true I'm not too fond of Undercover), I also enjoy early Beatles (before Sgt. Pepper) and early Beach Boys (they lose me after Pet Sounds). I wish I could say something like "I used to listen to my parents' records and I grew up with their music" or something, but this isn't true. My parents aren't interested in music at all and the first CD ever brought into their house was brought by me, so I had to build up my music collection from scratch (same goes for books and movies) which is really expensive when you're a student. In a way, that makes them more my own, I guess. It has made it harder to discover music that isn't popular today (no radio airing, no TV broadcast), but considering my musical taste, I'd say I managed to find what I truly loved nonetheless. So here are some excellent artists I've discovered just recently (everything is recent, obviously) and without whom I cannot live.

The Kinks
I believe that you and me last forever
Oh yeah, all day and nightime yours, leave me never

The only time I feel alright is by your side
Girl I want to be with you all of the time

All day and all of the night

Gerry & the Pacemakers
Don't let the sun catch you cryin'
The night's the time for all your tears

Your heart may be broken tonight

But tomorrow in the morning light

Don't let the sun catch you cryin'


The Animals
We gotta get out of this place
If it's the last thing we ever do

We gotta get out of this place

Girl, there's a better life
For me and you

Herman's Hermits

I walked her home and she held my hand I knew it couldn't be just a one-night stand
So I asked to see her next week and she told me I could

Somethin' tells me I'm into something good


The Monkees
I thought love was only true in fairy tales
Meant for someone else but not for me.

Love was out to get me

Thats the way it seemed.

Disappointment haunted all my dreams.

Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer

Not a trace of doubt in my mind.

I'm in love, I'm a believer, I couldn't leave her if I tried.

The Hollies
My heart it keeps on beatin'
I know that you've been cheatin'

I know our love could never be now

The Lovin' Spoonful
I've been havin' a sweet dream,
I've been dreamin' since I woke up today,
It's starring me in my sweet dream,
'Cause she's the one that makes me feel this way,
And even if time is passin' me by a lot,
I couldn't care less about the dues you say I got.
Tomorrow I'll pay the dues for dropping my load.
A pie in the face for being a sleepy bull toad.

WATCH OUT FOR PART 2 TOMORROW!


Sibylle