Friday, April 17, 2009

Works that Changed my Life - Two

Works that Changed my Life

A Room With a View


E.M. Forster - A Room With a View


George Emerson: "He [Cecyl Vise] is the sort who are all right so long as they keep to things--books, pictures--but kill when they come to people. He daren't let a woman decide. He's the type who's kept Europe back for a thousand years. Every moment of his life he's forming you, telling you what's charming or amusing or ladylike, telling you what a man thinks womanly; and you, you of all women, listen to his voice instead of to your own. But I do love you surely in a better way than he does." He thought. "Yes--really in a better way. I want you to have your own thoughts even when I hold you in my arms. As you came through the wood I saw that nothing else mattered. I called. I wanted to live and have my chance of joy."

Youth enwrapped them; the song of Phaethon announced passion requited, love attained. But they were conscious of a love more mysterious than this. The song died away; they heard the river, bearing down the snows of winter into the Mediterranean.

ITV - A Room With a View

George Emerson: The poor man.
Lucy Honeychurch: Yes.
George Emerson: Half an hour ago he was so full of life, and now he's dead. It's such a tremendous thing. That he's dead and we're... alive.