Sunday, April 12, 2009

Separate rooms, I'll arrange that by tomorrow, but today I can't fix it, unless you kill a guest

>>>BUY THE FLOWERS YOURSELF, CLICK THE PICTURE TO SEE MORE!<<<

I've been watching so many different things I don't know where to begin. I have started the third season of Buffy, the fourth of The West Wing (this one's a rewatch of course) I am still watching all the Marx Brothers movies I can put my hands on (Duck Soup is their masterpiece, although I have a particular fondness for Monkey Business), I have decided to watch four John Hughes movies also - The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Sixteen Candles - these are classics I have never seen - better late than never. I have also decided to start watching Deadwood.
Deadwood. Ah, Deadwood, Deadwood, Deadwood. Long story short: this is not my first time trying. I can't remember how many times I've watched the first four episodes of the first season before something else got in the way. It's such a different show. Takes some getting used to, and for some reason, I've never had the patience it takes to stick and not give up. I can feel this time's the right one, though. I'll report back if I find a gem in all of this. That's completely unrelated but I found this post by Katie to be utterly amusing.


Charles de Lint's The Blue Girl was entertaining. The narrative is told from three different points of view - Imogene's (a punk girl who used to belong to a gang), a ghost's (who's in love with Imogene, she can see him too) and Maxine's (whose mother is too controlling, she's a nice girl). They have to fight some dark fairies while attending high school and being bullied. I finished it but still, it was only entertaining - it was an easy read but in the end didn't have much of a purpose besides a few adventures. I may be spoiled, but after reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, I have different expectations when it comes to YA fiction. It can be both exciting and thought-provoking. The Blue Girl does not add anything to what already exists is my point.

Read Alan Hollinghurst's The Line of Beauty knowing that it is his masterpiece, that it doesn't get any better than that. After having read two of his other books (the only one left is The Spell), I can say for sure that he is one of my favourite authors - he makes me look at myself in a different way. The Folding Star is no exception. It's about obsession and how it relates to art, as usual. It's a very intelligent novel - Hollinghurst's themes are present in each of his book and I read these three books - The Line of Beauty, The Folding Star, The Swimming-Pool Library - as three books of a same series. The prose is perfect, sacred and profane - I think the real excellency of Hollinghurst lies in the fact that he manages to intellectualize that which cannot be intellectualized - lust. It is elitist and yet it strongly invites everyone in by the universality of what it describes. It's funny when you don't expect it to be. I'm so happy I discovered this author this year, he's a true find. He's not for everybody, though - some will find the writing extremely cold because the characters are the opposite of perfect, because it depicts idleness before focusing on the rest. I myself think he's very special because he's not afraid of looking at desires for what they are.

The amount of the things I want to buy is simply insane - that's the downside of finding so many great albums, movies, TV shows and authors. I will probably purchase some of those next week. My to-be-read pile only only contains seven books, for example, so it's time for a fresh one.
In other news, spring's here and I think there's no better season for Bobby Darin. 60s pop is the best.



LISTEN HERE

Every night I hope and pray
A dream lover will come my way
A girl to hold in my arms
And know the magic of her charms
'Cause I want
A girl
To call
My own
I want a dream lover
So I don't have to dream alone