Saturday, January 24, 2009

This and That

Before I forget, here's another Lorelai picspam :

>>>CLICK THE PICTURE TO SEE MORE!<<<

EMILY: And what about me confuses you, Lorelai?
LORELAI:
Well, so many things. I mean, for example, why can't you keep a maid in this house? I mean, there must've been a thousand women who've gone through here in the thirty-two years that I've been alive, and not one of them could stick it out.
EMILY:
And this is what we need to discuss right now?
LORELAI: These are women from countries that have dictatorships and civil wars and death squads and all of that they survived, but five minutes working for Emily Gilmore, and people are begging for Castro.



I'm still reading Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman, it's really good. My holidays have proven to be more hectic than I thought they would. I still managed to squeeze in some DVD time as I watched my brand new DVD of Lilies (I talked about it here) which was even better than the first time, if that's possible. I laughed and cried my heart out. I also watched my brand new copy of Miss Austen Regrets which was so good and intelligent, a real gem with wonderful performances and a great portrayal of my favourite writer. I finished to rewatch for the nth time the first and second seasons of Gilmore Girls, which remains my favourite show. And Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day was everything I remembered it to be and more. I also made a discovery as I saw Christmas in Connecticut for the first time today. I've always admired Barbara Stanwyck and this movie has the right balance of humorous moments and a great romance. It's the story of Elizabeth Lane who writes cookery and domestic books about her life in a farm with her husband and her baby. The thing is, the real Elizabeth Lane lives in a flat, can't boil an egg, isn't married and doesn't have a baby. One day, she's told a soldier who knows all about her supposedly very domestic life will come to her house to have a proper holiday. Hilarity ensues. The idea that an unmarried woman who earns her own living needs somehow to be fixed and live up to the domestic ideal she helped creating is repulsive but if you can get past it, it has some great dialog and Stanwyck delivers a great performance as usual.

Let's see... I was thrilled when I heard the news about Universal releasing some of their pre-code movies, following in Warner's footsteps. I still have some catching up to do as I haven't bought any of the box sets yet (perhaps if I won the lottery) but I saw some of the movies and they're as surprising and refreshing as you might expect.




That's about it ! I'm closing this with the catchy Everly Brothers.