Monday, January 5, 2009

Round About a Pound a Week, Children Who Lived in a Barn, Placebo

Round About a Pound a Week was very interesting and humbling. I wish they had included a chart with what these figures would mean today, but I managed to get a pretty good idea of what it was worth in the end (which isn't much !)
Pember Reeves writes beautifully and it never felt tedious, it's quite cleverly organized, too. I love her ideas and as the Persephone website says, it is definitely "relevant to today's Britain". The preface did say that it hadn't changed much since it was published, it's appalling.



The Children Who Lived in a Barn by Eleanor Graham is the story of five siblings whose parents have gone to look after their grandmother and have left them alone to take care of themselves. The eldest is but 14. It was published in 1938. 70 years later, I found the book really terrifying at times - how on earth can people let this happen ? The children manage even though it's very tough and I felt sorry for Sue, the eldest, more than once. Some characters were complete stereotypes - the parents - and I missed the characterization a writer like Noel Streatfeild for example, would have brought. I enjoyed the book, though, even though it sounded completely unrealistic at times, some details were lovely and some lines very funny.

I gave up on Deadwood and Weeds because I want to rewatch as many of my DVDs as I can before going abroad for a year. I won't be able to take my DVDs with me so I might as well enjoy them while I still can. Nothing much to report, my midterms are dangerously close and I'm focusing on those right now. Nevertheless, I always manage to squeeze in some reading/watching/listening hours even in the busiest of times, and I've recently discovered an album by Placebo thanks to a fanmix. Unusually for me I discovered their newest album first (I usually go chronologically), it's called Meds and was released in 2007, and my favourite song is Post Blue (the one from the fanmix), but the whole album's very cool.



I leave you with a picture of Louis Garrel, as a teaser of things to come.